With most of the country covered in snow -- including Georgia, Florida, and even Maui -- it's refreshing to see that some people are excited about it. In West Texas, a four-year-old took the opportunity to reenact her favorite Frozen scene. (I wonder if the cold really bothered her, anyway.)
While we're on the subject of amateur exhibitionists, the internet is going nuts over an Iowa mom who received a text message from a neighbor (with a photo) letting her know that her 2-year-old had taken advantage of an unsupervised moment to pose au naturel in the second-story window of the family's home.
On a more sombre -- but no less graphic -- note, a TV ad featuring mom life immediately post-partum was apparently rejected from airing during the Academy Awards tonight for being "too graphic." (I'm not going to lie to you. It IS very graphic, and personally, as someone who's lived it, pretty tough to watch.) Check it out -- at your own risk.
Read on for more fam-tastic news and ideas!
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Evenflo's Booster Seats Could be Dangerous for Kids Under 40 lbs, Says New Report :: As consumers, we expect that products (especially safety products) for infants and children will meet safety standards and be rigorously tested. (Motherly)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves
- Groundhog Day :: Critters, like the groundhog or woodchuck, normally don't have holidays named after them, so how was the groundhog chosen? (Kidzworld)
- New Walking Shark Species :: A shark that walks in water instead of swimming might sound like a creature straight out of a science fiction thriller. (DOGO)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- 6 Products to Help You Relax for Bedtime :: Bedtime is either your favorite or least favorite part of the day. With little ones, it can be hard to get everyone calmed down and settled for hitting the sheets. (Motherly)
- Why Valentines Day Matters To Moms :: Never did go in for Hallmark holidays or obligatory displays of romantic affection like Valentine’s Day. He thought of them as insincere and contrived – and to tell the truth, so did I. Until one day I didn’t. (Kidlets)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids.
- French Knit Valentine's Necklaces :: You could wear your heart on your sleeve as the saying goes, but why not wear it around your neck with one of these cute DIY necklaces? (Handmade Charlotte)
- Tangrams For Kids:: STEM learning tool that helps build a variety of important STEM skills in children as young as preschool, but also all the way through to teens. (STEAM Powered Family)
Overheard on the Playground
“I think being a parent is the most challenging thing you do. That’s why we’re here. It’s at the heart of what it is to be a human being. It’s the ultimate experience because it questions everything about who you are.”
— Michael Sheen