Ok. While I agree that 8 months old is a little young to be a fashion victim, the IG crowd went a little nuts this week when it called Hillary Duff a child abuser for piercing baby Banks' ears.
In more practical news, the U.S. Coast Guard announced that it will begin reimbursing nursing moms for the cost of shipping breastmilk home -- which is additionally cool because it was an idea spawned by something called the Women's Retention Study and Holistic Analysis, which was commissioned "as part of its commitment to create a more mission-ready workforce." Who knew the CG was so progressive?
Read on for more from the playground ...
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Coast Guard Ships Breastmilk :: In an effort to retain Coast Guard members after they become moms, the service will be reimbursing the cost of shipping breast milk. (ScaryMommy)
- Oregon Passes Paid Family Leave Law :: Providing for 12 weeks' paid leave, and making Oregon the 8th state to provide mandatory paid family leave. (Motherly)
- 11-Year-Old Invents Brilliant Way to Prevent Hot-Car Deaths :: And pitches it to Toyota. And raises $46K to file a patent. Kids really do rock, don't they? (Kids Activities Blog)
- Hillary Duff Accused of Child Abuse :: For piercing her baby's ears. (BuzzFeed)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Foldable iPad? :: Rumors claim Apple is quietly working on such a device with plans to launch it as soon as next year. (Mashable)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves
- Weird July Holidays :: Both Canada Day and American Independence Day land in July – but did you know they share the month with some truly kooky celebrations? (Kidzworld)
- What Lives In Moss :: Mosses, some of the oldest plants on land, are home to many species of microbes. (The Kid Should See This)
- Basking Sharks Return :: The first time the "gentle giants of the sea" have frequented the area in such large numbers in over thirty years. (DOGO News)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Prevent The Summer Slide for Teens :: This summer get your teens setting goals, following passions and learning new skills. (STEAM)
- Art Activities for Traveling with Toddlers :: Try these seven open ended art activities for traveling with toddlers. (The Artful Parent)
- What to Say Instead of "Five More Minutes" :: A thing parents say to their young children when it’s time for them to wrap up whatever they’re doing. (Offspring)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids.
- Fruit Memory Matching Game :: This set of memory matching game cards is a little bit tutti and a whole lot of fruity! (Childhood101)
- Sharpie Art Projects for Kids :: Fun ideas for toddlers and preschoolers as well as projects for older kids. (Happy Hooligans)
- Animal World Sensory Bin :: Toss out the sand – make an Animal World Sensory Bin today. (Busy Toddler)