Happy Friday! With summer in full swing, the news cycle is light, so there's not much to miss. Most newsworthy is a new study that shows that only 20% of autism cases are caused by "environmental" factors -- the rest are genetic. In celebrity news, Megan Markle and Beyonce met in a history-making summit (at the Lion King premier) to discuss who REALLY runs the world (hint: girls). And dads are finally getting the recognition they deserve -- as diaper-changers extraordinaire.
Read on for more tips, tricks, parenting hacks and playground gossip ...
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Dads Rock the Box :: For the first time ever, boxes of Huggies feature pictures of DADs and babies (and the commercial brings a new level of cool to the world of diapering).
- Autism Linked to Genetics :: In a new 2-million-person study across 5 countries, scientists concluded that 80% of autism spectrum disorders are related to genes, and only 20% to environmental factors — and the role of maternal factors to be "nonexistent or minimal."
- Coffee Saves the Day :: When a mom tending to her ailing daughter in ER asked for a cup of coffee so she could stay alert and by her child’s side, the internet provided.
- The Princess and the Bey :: At Megan Markle and Beyonce's legendary meeting, it was hard to figure out who was more nervous.
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Learn Piano Online :: Tired of hunching over your computer and pounding on your keyboard day in and day out? Maybe it's time you learn how to tinker with a different kind of keyboard. (Mashable)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves
- The Lion King Crossword :: Test your knowledge and see if you can beat the clock.(Kidzworld)
- What Elements Compose 99.9% of Your Body? :: Beauty of Science team shows us these 11 elements in three groups: gases and liquids, metals, and non-metallic solid. (The Kid Should See This)
- National Ice Cream Day :: You scream, I scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM! Sunday is National Ice Cream Day. (Kids Activities Blog)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Best Credit Cards for Parents :: Being a parent is expensive, but like with almost all spending, maximizing the return on the purchases you make for your family can be incredibly rewarding. (Fatherly)
- How to Foster Creativity at Home :: Great tips from Joy Cho, while you're having fun, just remember that being creative is about the process, not the result! (Motherly)
- Adaptive Halloween Costumes :: Target is getting a head start on the Halloween holiday this year! (Scary Mommy)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids.
- Dino Activities for Kids! :: Does your kid love to stomp around and roar like a dinosaur? Or maybe they are older and love learning everything about dinosaurs and evolution as a budding paleontologist. (STEAM)
- Missing Sounds Activity :: Hands-on reading? It can happen with this missing sounds game! (Busy Toddler)
- Brain Games & Logic Puzzles :: Puzzle-solving and problem-solving are not only great for brain development, they provide emotional benefits, too. (Childhood101)