May 17th, 2020
The question on everyone's mind this week: When will schools be able to reopen? Everyone's got an opinion. Here's a quick rundown:
- The notorious Dr. Fauci says it would be unsafe to reopen schools anytime soon because the effects of COVID-19 on children are not completely understood.
- President Trump disagrees, and thinks schools should reopen immediately, saying "I don't consider our country coming back if the schools are closed."
- The CDC has provided a decision tree to help school administers make the decision, but it's frustratingly open-ended and vague.
- Ashish Jha, professor of health policy at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, says opening schools by September is doable if the U.S. can manufacture “simple throat swab tests” and distribute them to schools across the nation -- but that will require at least three times the amount of testing we’re doing now.
Meanwhile, the mysterious connection between kids going to school or daycare and parents being able to go to work (or work from home for more than ten minutes at a time) has been revealed at last. And as states are starting to open up, some are asking if it's fair to ask workers to return to in-person work without first figuring out the child care angle on a national level, while others wonder if parents should be forced to send their children to open daycare options if they don't feel comfortable it's safe.
Now that we've established (finally!) that child care is important, there is the question of whether the struggling industry will get a government bailout. The answer so far is probably not -- but a coalition of child care organizations has started a campaign to lobby Congress for a $50 billion bailout package specifically for child care.
One thing's for sure: Things are not going to go back to normal any time soon.
Hang in there, families! (And read on for this week's OTHER parenting and family news.)
Overheard on the Playground
"My kids asked me what I used to play on my iPad when I was a kid and I told them I used to let elmer’s glue dry on my hands and peel it off for fun."
- Brain Games :: Check out these 10 STEM and tech activities that’ll keep your kids entertained and engaged. (Tech Republic)
- Pandemic Parenting Advice :: Best selling author and single mom Rachel Simmons gives brilliant advice on parenting during the pandemic, and how to build a stronger relationship with your kids. (CNN)
- Movie and Discussion :: Watching a movie is always fun with the kids. Adding a layer of thoughtful discussion to it can teach valuable lessons. (Chicago Parent)
- Nine Easy Hobbies That Kids Can Maintain :: Heres a list of nine useful hobbies your family can master during the pandemic. (POPSUGAR)
- Blue Dragons Washed Up On Seashore :: Learn about the discovery of Blue Dragons in South Padre, TX. They have been both discovered and marveled by visitors. (DOGO News)
- Octopus Houdini :: Witness an intelligent octopus unscrew a jar from the inside! Creepy, but also very cool. (The Kid Should See This)