It's been a weird week on the playground. A pregnant woman was "womb-bothered" by a Starbucks barista, a line drive clocked a little girl and sent the batter to pieces, and major newspapers have started covering the likelihood that UFOs are real. Oh, and swimming babies. Enjoy!
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Barista Battles Over Caffeine During Pregnancy :: A young male barista in a Starbucks in London nearly didn’t serve a pregnant woman her carmel macchiato because, he said, caffeine would be bad for the baby.Causing the Brits to coin the term “womb-bothering” (we love it!). Health.com followed up by asking an actually qualified person (an ob/gyn) her opinion.
- NYT and Washington Post Get Serious About UFOs :: Ok, this is not strictly parenting news, but it’s definitely something your kids might find cool. This week, both the New York Times and the Washington Post examined the question of whether UFOs might really exist.
- AAP Recommends Swimming Lessons for Babies :: Citing drowning as the leading cause of death for children ages one to four. Ok, we’re listening! (ScaryMommy)
- Cubs Player Loses It After His Line Drive Clocks Four-Year-Old Girl :: The player, a father of two young boys, went to tears when he saw that the ball he’d hit had struck the girl (who is reportedly going to be fine). Everyone in the Twitterverse could relate. (CBS Chicago)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Lulla Dolls for Baby :: The trick to a better nights sleep for parents! (Cool Mom Picks)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Albino Panda Spotted :: For the first time ever, an all-white panda was caught on film. (DOGO News)
- Volcano Summer Camp :: A gathering of scientists and engineers who are detonating underground explosives at the University at Buffalo‘s Geohazards Field Station. (The Kid Should See This)
- Does Mother Nature Play Favorites :: We're here to tell you those teens aren't superheroes, immune to Mother Nature's tricks. (Kidzworld)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- 21 End-of-Year Teacher Gift Ideas :: Outside-the-box ideas for the teachers in you and your child's life, ranging from pampering bath bombs to pretty artwork, from personalized tote bags to Starbucks gift cards. (Motherly)
- 7 Summer Dangers :: What every parent should know to keep their kids safe this summer. (Fatherly)
- Friendships That Grow in Motherhood :: Nothing forces you to prioritize what is important quite like motherhood. (Motherly)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Erupting Rainbow Rocks :: Kids will gasp in surprise and amazement in this chemistry experiment. (STEAM)
- Wooly Yarn Wall Hang :: Create a bright, colorful yarn wall hanging OR a wooly wall monster–your choice with this engaging textile activity! (The Artful Parent)
- DIY Nature Ring Toss Game :: This DIY project is really simple! The best part is that when you’re done you can get the kids outdoors to play. (Hands On As We Grow)