As we enter mid-summer, the ever-evolving debate on school reopening continues to rage on. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has issued a new statement, this time joined by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), National Education Association (NEA) and the School Superintendents Association. The central message is the same -- in-person education is best -- but the new message makes sure to add that the decision should be "based on evidence, not politics." Duh.
Meanwhile, teachers are pushing back against talk of reopening. In California, when Governor Gavin Newsom asked schools to make their best attempt to open this fall, the California Teachers Association, one of the largest and most powerful unions in the country, sent an open letter insisting that schools are not ready, reiterating the warning against making the decision to reopen based on politics. A similar discussion is happening in New York.
In the private sector, the long-awaited reopening of Disney World happened this weekend, with a ton of additional safety measures in place. So far, screaming on rollercoasters is still allowed -- unlike in amusement parks in Japan, where riders are asked to please scream inside their hearts, because screaming out loud could spread coronavirus. (I'd try this argument on my kids, but their daily scream-at-the-top-of-their-lungs exercise is too important for everyone's mental wellness.)
Read on for more fam-tastic news and nonsense for your week.
Overheard on the Playground
"It's almost expected that we just drop (our kids) off at day care or keep them with mommy ... when I think in reality, a lot of dads right now are trying to be more active participants in the lives of their children." -- Hasan Minhaj
- The Benefits Of Kids And Social Media :: Is raising unplugged kids a good idea? Listen to the five benefits of letting kids engage in social media, and how to be tech positive parents. (Cool Mom Tech)
- Parenting Summer Strategies :: With summer in full effect, here are some innovative ways to keep your kids engaged, both mentally and physically. (Forbes)
- Emotionally Intelligent Kids :: Teaching your kids about self awareness will increase their ability to manage relationships effectively. Especially during these dark times. (HuffPost)
- Fairy Garden Time! :: A fairy garden can be as simple or as complex as your time, materials and age-level allow. (DailyMom)
- 9 Games To Sharpen The Memory :: Here are some fun and engaging games for your kids to enhance their memory. (Childhood 101)
- Our Spectacular Sun :: NASA collected an entire decades worth of images of the sun for us to enjoy. These breathtaking features of the sun includes 425 million high-resolution images! (The Kids Should See This)
- COVID Sensing Dogs :: Dogs may be able to sniff out COVID-19 in the near future. Our furry friends blessed with a sensitive nose make them an excellent bio-detection ally. (DOGO News)