Baby, it's a wild world out there.
Police in Phoenix held a 4-year-old at gunpoint for "stealing" a Barbie from a Dollar Store (query whether a toddler is capable of the requisite mens rea for theft). Where is John Wick when you need him? Oh, right, he's in Toy Story 4 and also in the running for person-of-the-year and also has taken the place of ever Disney hero. On the plus side, retain giant Target has taken a strong position in favor of mothers' rights, and a slew of pro dads gave new dads the benefit of their mistakes.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Police Hold Family at Gunpoint over a Stolen Barbie :: Just the facts: a 4-year-old walked out of a Dollar Store with a Barbie. A fellow shopper called the police, who responded by apprehending the offender at gunpoint and threatening to kill the parents. Yes, there's a video. (Heavy)
- Target Openly Condones Breastfeeding :: In a viral letter, the retail giant lets moms know that they can nurse whenever and wherever they please -- and that they're planning to add more nursing rooms to their stores. Oh, and also that #momsrock. (Fatherly)
- Going Goo Goo for Keanu :: There's a petition going around to make Keanu Reeves the person of the year (ScaryMommy), and someone's taken the liberty of subbing him in as the male lead in every Disney movie (Fatherly). Oh, and Marvel wants him to play a role -- any role! -- in the Marvel universe. Apparently someone's got a good publicist!
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Best Baby Carriers for Hiking :: Before you hit the trails with your tot, you’re going to need one of the best baby carriers for hiking of some sort. (Rookie Moms)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- "Rain Cloud" Turns Swarm :: However, upon peering closer, we realized the "cloud" comprised a huge mass of tiny, flying dots.. Ladybugs! (DOGO)
- Boomerang Trick Shots :: Trick Shots video, led by World Champion Boomerang Thrower Logan Broadben. (The Kid Should See This)
- How Your Brain Powers Your Thoughts :: we have around 86 billion neurons—the brain’s nerve cells—”packed into a mere 1,400 grams of matter in the human brain.” How do we power all of those neurons? (The Kid Should See This)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- The Case for Telecommuting :: Are remote workforces the answer for working moms? (Motherly)
- Dadvice :: In celebration of Father's Day, BTDT dads share their wisdom with dad newbies on every stage of parenthood. Dadorable. (Mother)
- Healthy Pool Snacks for Kids :: Because we all know that poolside goldfish are not a great idea. (Kids Activities)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Paper Plate Robin Craft :: Adorable robin craft for your toddlers and preschoolers to make this week! (Happy Hooligans)