This week, the big news is Operation Varsity Blues, wherein the FBI cracks down on an organized conspiracy for getting kids of wealthy parents into prestigious colleges. Given the fact that legacy admissions have been an accepted practice since the inception of the ivies, this doesn't seem all that noteworthy. Except that the FBI is cracking down on this version -- and airing heartbreaking tapes that show how little some parents actually think of their kids' chances to succeed, if left to their own devices.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Wealthy People Bribe Their Kids’ Way Into College :: Yes, this week it's news. An FBI investigation dubbed Operation Varsity Blues alleged that at least 33 wealthy parents actively participated in a conspiracy to cheat/defraud their ways into college. (NYT) Many commenters point out how truly sad this is for the kids who thought they’d earned their spots in the college of their dreams, only to be exposed to recorded conversations of their own parents discussing how laughable an idea it was. Then Don Jr. accidentally reminded us that this sort of thing has been going on for ages.
- Amy Schumer Bears All :: The internet’s favorite pregnancy pics this week came from the internet’s favorite trainwreck. They are … what we’d expect from Amy Schumer. (Motherly)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Toddler Mp3 and Music Players :: Have you been looking for an audio player for your toddler? Something that is screen free, with a volume limiter and something that is really robust? (How We Montessori)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- How Tall Can a Tree Grow? :: Reaching heights of over 100 meters, Californian sequoias tower over Earth’s other 60,000 tree species. (The Kid Should See This)
- St. Patrick's Day Traditions Explained :: Few festivals transcend across different ages and cultures as St. Patrick's Day does. (DOGO)
- Top 25 April Fools' Jokes :: Here are the Top April Fools’ Jokes and there is nothing little about these zingers. (Kidzworld)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- 14 Phrases Kids Say That Might Be Code Words for "I'm Anxious" :: As children, it can often be difficult to effectively communicate what we’re feeling. (Scary Mommy)
- 20 (Clean) St. Patrick's Day Jokes for Kids :: It’s what the leprechauns would want you to do. (Fatherly)
- How to Talk to Children About Tragedies :: Whether it’s an international terrorist attack, a domestic terrorist attack or hate crime targeting innocent people, or even a natural disaster, every new tragic incident is one too many. (Cool Mom Picks)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Edgy-Cool Craft Kits :: One of the great new trends at Toy Fair 2019 this week was the explosion of really thoughtful, creative craft kits. (Cool Mom Picks)
- Muffin Tin Coin Counting Activity :: I don’t know about you, but I am always looking for ways to make school easier. (Frugal Fun)
- Build a LEGO Disc Launcher! :: Use your LEGO bricks to construct a fun contraption that shoots discs REALLY far! (Frugal Fun)