Greetings from quarantine!
You may have noticed we took a brief break from the beat over the past few weeks. Our usual baby snark just didn't seem appropriate to the times -- and as you may have read in my email last week, we were insanely busy helping the Colorado Emergency Child Care Collaborative bring free child care to Colorado's front line workers.
But this has gone on long enough! The parenting public has a right to know -- ICYMI -- that a mom gave birth this week while in a COVID coma, Chris Hemsworth and Jimmy Fallon both dadded up while trying to carry on business as usual in quarantine with kids, and "virtual" babysitting is apparently a thing now (not on our watch!). Oh, and some of your kids' favorite children's book illustrators are offering FREE online drawing lessons!
Read on for more famtastic news -- from quarantine.
Overheard on the Playground
“That strong mother doesn’t tell her cub, Son, stay weak so the wolves can get you. She says, Toughen up, this is reality we are living in.”
-- Lauryn Hill
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Virtual Birthday :: Got a big birthday coming up? Here are some unique ways to host virtual birthday parties. (TechCrunch)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves
- An Asteroid Zipped Past Earth This Week :: Nothing to fear, the rock is out of our neighborhood. The incredible asteroid is estimated to be 40 to 100 feet and the Virtual Telescope Project took an incredible photo of it. (CNET)
- String or Creature? :: One of the largest creatures in the deep sea was discovered by Australian scientists that is estimated to be 150 feet long. Related to jellyfish, the Siphonophores prey on crustaceans and fish using their tentacles. Fascinating! (DOGO News)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Ideas to Keep Your Kids Stimulated :: Running out of ideas for things to do with your kids? One gold mine to come out of the pandemic: tons of new ideas for things to do with kids at home, from indoor activity guides to DIY ideas. (Alpha Mom)
- Five Rules for Bedtime Reading :: Reading to your kids can be a therapeutic experience for you, and a magical experience for your kids. But who knew there were actual rules about it? (Mothering)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids.
- Ian and Barley Cupcakes :: Do you have a sweet tooth and feel like you can make an activity out of it? Check out these cupcakes shaped in the likeness of Onward's Ian and Barley. (Disney Family)
- Where’s Waldo? (At Home, Like Everyone Else!) :: Candlewick Press released new activities for families including scavenger hunts and free Waldo inspired printables. (Kids Activities Blog)