Spring is in the air, and this week the playground is all about birth. A 1968 instruction sheet for new moms has gone viral, showing us just how much the dialogue around baby's first few days has changed in the past 50 years, and a woman in Bangladesh discovers a surprise pregnancy by giving birth, again, a month after having her first. Meanwhile, if you’re looking for a baby name, or a baby-naming philosophy, the internet has a LOT of advice.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Indiana School District Addresses Childhood Hunger :: By repurposing leftover cafeteria food. (ScaryMommy)
- 1968 Hospital Instructions to New Moms Goes Viral :: Complete with rules on visitation and nursing regimes. (Babyology)
- Bizarre Birth Stories Abound :: A woman in Bangladesh gives birth to twins a month after having her first baby, and a grandma gives birth to her own granddaughter.
- Chrissy Teagan and John Legend Get Matching Parent Tattoos :: And the internet is more in love than ever. (People)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Kolibree Intelligent Toothbrush :: Did you brush your teeth? Are you sure? Why don't you go back up and brush them again? #overit (Kolibree)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Understanding The Scientific Method :: Learn the Scientific Method including the steps and how to use them for your next assignment or science fair project. (STEAM)
- Books About Trees :: It’s so much fun to explore preschool themes that children can easily connect with. (Fantastic Fun & Learning)
- Books About Pets for Preschool & Kindergarten :: Great lessons build on pre-existing knowledge and experiences and pets are something many children have prior knowledge about, even if the pet isn’t their own. (No Time For Flash Cards)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Sesame Street Celebrates Autism Awareness Month :: Sesame Street is recognizing that Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) isn't just something that individual children are dealing with, but something that families are dealing with together. (Motherly)
- Hotels That Have Free Kids Clubs! :: So you can enjoy your vacation too. (Scary Mommy)
- Parenting Styles :: 5 words for when your child struggles academically. (Modern Parents Messy Kids)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Counting Flower Petals Math Activity :: We are always on the look out for ways to mix learning in with fun. So we took our play time outside! (Hands On As We Grow)
- Printable Alphabet Mazes :: A lovely standalone alphabet learning game to be used at home or school with preschoolers, first and second graders. (Childhood101)
- DIY Easter Egg Bath Bombs :: Make your Easter science lessons fun this year! (STEAM)