It's Mother's Day! The day when moms everywhere feign enthusiasm for whatever comes their way in terms of appreciation, all the while wondering if there is a tactful way to tell their families what they really want -- a break, from the whole shebang.
But first comes Teacher Appreciation week, a week when teachers do ... the same exact thing. (I just realized for the first time that Teacher Appreciation week ALWAYS comes the week before Mother's Day. A little cheeky, don't you think?)
Here's the skinny on both, in this age of COVID:
Mother's Day is going to be different this year. Most say worse. Some say better. But definitely different.
What most moms want? Some alone time. (Good luck with that.)
Meanwhile, the theme for Teacher Appreciation Week: you never know what you had until it's gone. (And also, they should make a billion dollars.)
One more thing: Gerber apparently chooses a new Gerber baby every year, and has never chosen one who was adopted -- until now.
Happy Mother's Day, all! Hang in there!
Overheard on the Playground
My kids’ math worksheets be like
1. 6 X 4 =
2. Write a 7 page reflection on how you arrived at your answer. Include a works cited page, footnotes, and a pie chart that shows how many tears each of your parents cried during the 11 hours it took you to get through this assignment.
- Google’s Read Along App :: This excellent app uses text-to-speech and speech recognition technology to help kids work through prompts and in-app games. (The Verge)
- Social Network For Women :: A Tinder-like app for mothers to forge friendships? Moms can now REALLY share how quarantined Mother’s Day is going. (TechCrunch)
- The Secret History of Mother's Day :: Anna Jarvis founded Mother’s Day to honor her beloved mother, then spent the rest of her life fighting the holiday’s commercial and political exploitation. She died alone in an asylum. Enough said. (TODAY Parents)
- An Inventive Mother’s Day Gift :: Have a lot of junk around in your house? Try these genius gift ideas to turn junk into resources! (Cool Mom Pics)
- Baby Shark Masks :: Get your 10 pound yarn ready to make Baby Shark masks for the whole family. (Kids Activities Blog)
- The First Wheel Invented :: Ever wonder who invented the wheel? Learn about the lives of ancient inventors and what they did to advance technology. (WIRED)
- The Tale of an Ancient Squid Attack :: A 200 Million-year-old violent squid attack took place in Southern England as scientists uncover the fossil’s story. (CNET)