The week before Mother's Day has been a newsy one on the playground, with two royal births (well done Schumer and Markle!), a startling new report from the CDC on the various preventable post-partum issues that lead to maternal death, and a nationwide survey on the best and worst states for working moms.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Best/Worst States for Working Moms :: Looking at childcare, work-life balance, and the gender pay gap, Wallethub gives us the skinny. (Fatherly)
- CDC Says Most Post-Partum Deaths Were Preventable :: New report includes many scary things you probably didn’t know about postpartum maternal death.
- Royal Birth Announcements :: Amy Schumer (U.S. comedy royalty) and Meghan Markle (actual British royalty) both give birth, and the internet gets gushy. Are babies Gene and Archie destined to be soul brothers?
- Let the Mother’s Day Tear-Jerking Commercial Storm Begin! :: Starting with this lovely tribute to strong moms raising strong girls, starring women's soccer champion Abby Wambach. #girlpower
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- 10 Apps For Kids on Autism Spectrum :: Check out these apps that help kids with communication, organization, and even social-awareness skills. (MOTHER)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Special Days in the Month of May :: The bees are buzzing, the flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping. Time to celebrate! (Kidzworld)
- The Sounds of Monarch Butterflies :: Fluttering like wind through the leaves of a tree, the ‘furry’ bark of the oyamel trees comes alive. (The Kid Should See This)
- Russian Spy Whale In Norway :: Meet this friendly Beluga whale who loves to interact with humans! (DOGO)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Free Babysitter From Kraft :: Seriously. Kraft will reimburse you up to $100 towards a babysitter if you want to go out on Sunday. (Motherly)
- Summer Reading List :: What Do We Do All Day? brings us lists for all ages, to help us help our kids keep up their reading chops this summer.
- Celebrating Mom's Work Ethic :: The holiday isn’t just about moms receiving roses, it’s about what they put out in the world. It’s about how they teach us and our children to deliver. (Fatherly)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Tea & Lavender Bath Bombs :: These bath bombs make a wonderful gift or favour. (STEAM)
- Mother's Day DIY :: Rounded up some pretty DIY ideas your kids could pull off! (Small Fry)
- Wine Bottle Candle Holder :: Transform an empty wine bottle into a gorgeous candle holder with tissue paper decoupage! (Happy Hooligans)