Happy Belated Earth Day! This week was a busy one for fam health issues, with the WHO releasing new guidelines on screen time for kids, new numbers emerging on the national measles outbreak, and the internet becoming obsessed with the crazy intricate inner workings of women's milk ducts. Plus some very cool edutaining projects for kids and some advice on how to pick summer camps for your kids. Enjoy!
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- World Health Organization Releases New Screen Time Guidelines :: There’s been a ton of debate and research about how screen time affects kids. According to new guidelines kids under the age of five should have no more than one hour of screen time a day. (Scary Mommy)
- The Internet Can't Handle Viral Photo of Women's Milk Ducts :: A picture of what boobs look like anatomically, and how they work. And honestly, it’s cool! (Scary Mommy)
- Jessica Simpson on Being a Mom of 3 :: "We are trying to get into the groove and make sure all three kids are getting equal attention … it's more than a full-time job right now." (Motherly)
- Measles Outbreak Continues :: With almost 700 cases of measles so far this year, we've already reached the highest annual toll since the disease was declared eradicated in 2000 (and it's only April!). Meanwhile, over 100 students at UCLA were quarantined when they couldn't show proof of immunization, and the CDC is recommending that anyone vaccinated before 1989 get a booster. But before you get too freaked out, note that people rarely die of the measles (0.2%), and the last reported measles-related death in the U.S. was in 2015.
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Baby Sleep Gear All Parents Should Know About :: Are you getting any sleep at night? These gadgets might help.(Fatherly)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Spectacular Space Books :: Perfect for astronauts in training of all ages. (Childhood 101)
- Musical Marble Machine :: A mesmerizing video captures a demonstration of the Marble Conveyer Belt. (The Kid Should See This)
- Clean Up Our Planet :: The history behind Earth Day. (Kidzworld)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Memes on Parent Life Lessons :: Strap yourself in for this quick trip through the first year with a baby in the house. (Babyology)
- Tips for Picking the Best Summer Camp :: With more than 13,000 summer camps in the US, choosing camp programs for our kids can feel overwhelming. (Fatherly)
- PSA: Take More Candid Pics :: Its the best way to capture a memory with your family. (Scary Mommy)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Best Homemade Playdough Ever! :: Have you ever thought of using classic Jell-O? (Modern Parents Messy Kids)
- Wooden Moths and Dragonflies :: Adorable as indoor plant décor, but they would also be sweet glued onto wooden boxes, picture frames, or anything else that needs a little pizzazz! (Handmade Charlotte)
- Homemade Star Wars Gummies :: This easy and delicious recipe will be a huge hit with the kids. (STEAM)