Father’s Day is this Sunday (yes, THIS Sunday), so prepare yourself for an avalanche of all things dad. I don't know who elected John Legend the king of dadness, but I have to admit, he's doing a pretty good job. (Who will challenge him in 2020? We think Dwayne Johnson could be a contender. ...)
At the same time, there was a bizarre wave of articles this week about being shamed for being a working mom. (We'll take a look at those next week -- we don't want to throw shade on the dad contingent at this special time.)
On the lighter side, science finally proved that dodgeball is evil, the new Frozen II trailer is out (personally we liked the teaser better), and Sesame Street took over NPR's Tiny Desk in honor of the Street's 50th Birthday.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Legendary Dadvocacy :: John Legend, perennial darling of the momosphere, is really stepping up his game in advance of Father’s Day, pointing out that his wife Chrissy Teigen gets perpetually mom-shamed for parenting decisions they make together (there's no such thing as dad-shaming, he points out), advocating for changing tables in men’s rooms, and writing songs about potty training.
- Scientists Finally Prove That Dodge Ball is Legalized Bullying :: This week at at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Vancouver, a group of researchers proved that no, running around avoiding getting hit with a ball hurled by a bigger and meaner peer is not really fun. So can we please stop making it a mandatory part of our educational curriculum? (ScaryMommy)
- Texas Moms Stage a Nurse-In :: To protest a nursing mom being ejected from a public pool. (Fatherly)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Self Warming Baby Bottle! :: For parents on the go, this self-heating baby bottle warms milk to the recommended feeding temperature in about four minutes with no electricity or cords. (PCMag)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Sesame Street’s Tiny Desk :: Sesame Street + NPR’s Tiny Desk = Magic (The Kid Should See This)
- The Long-Awaited Official Frozen II Trailer is Out :: More details, more mystery — all around a little underwhelming.
- All About Father's Day :: Father's Day isn't just a day for Dad to get more ties. It's about honoring all the men who've been a father figure. (Kidzworld)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- The Secret History of Father’s Day :: The origin story of Father’s Day starts with a coal mine disaster in West Virginia and ends with the official holiday’s creation in 1972 by Richard Nixon. (Fatherly)
- Free Dad Hugs :: A bunch of dads rallied at the Pittsburgh Pride Parade last weekend to give out hugs full of love and support. (ScaryMommy)
- Keeping Bedtimes Strict Over Summer :: So get those kids to bed. Fight for it. Don’t give it up. (ScaryMommy)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Super Fun Math Activity :: Working on addition skills? Try this Finish the Equation math activity! (Busy Toddler)
- Alphabet Memory Game :: An easy printable game to play over the summer with your kiddos. (Childhood101)
- Bow Tie Fathers Day Card :: Make these folded paper bow tie cards they're ADORABLE! (Happy Hooligans)