Post-Mother's Day, focus on the playground has turned from moms to ... everything else. In Spain, we learned that when dads go all-in with infant care duty, they tend to conclude that less is more when it comes to adding to the pack. Meanwhile, beloved Arthur teacher Mr. Ratburn finds marital bliss, and the internet's continuing exploration of the inner workings of reproduction show us just how tight things get in the birth canal -- and how babies' heads contort to adapt. And, of course, unless you live under a rock, you know about the controversial abortion ban in Alabama. A crazy week for momness all around!
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Mr. Ratburn and Patrick :: The same-sex nuptials of a beloved teacher on the kids’ TV show Arthur draw much enthusiasm from the intersphere. (Fatherly)
- Combatting Cost Externalization in Parenthood :: A study in Spain shows that when fathers take paternity leave, they end up wanting fewer kids. (Scary Mommy)
- Tight Squeeze :: Thanks to seven women in France (who gave birth inside an MRI machine — the mind reels!), we now know the contortions of skull and brain that happen during natural childbirth. Cool, scary — take your pick. (Motherly)
- Alabama :: Unless this newsletter is your ONLY source of news, you know that Alabama passed legislation this week criminalizing abortion. It doesn’t take effect until 6 months after becoming law — which means there’s plenty of time for it to be declared unconstitutional. In the meantime, let the clickfest begin. (CNN)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Best Tech Kids Toys:: Finding the perfect gadget gifts for children is trickier than it looks. (Digital Trends)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Why Do Some Birds Fly In V-Formation?:: This 2014 NPR animation explains how forming a v-shape and synchronizing their wing flaps. (The Kid Should See This)
- Positive Body Image :: Your body image has a big influence on your confidence and self-esteem. (Kidzworld)
- Farmers Market Fun for Kids:: Nothing is better than a sunny day, shared with the family, selecting fresh produce, and checking out the offerings of our local farmers market! (Kids Activities Blog)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- 26 Phrases To Calm Your Angry Child:: Whether your child has a slow-burning fuse or explodes like a firecracker at the slightest provocation, every child can benefit from anger management skills. (Motherly)
- 18 Popular Kids Movies With The Best Life Lessons:: Watching movies with your kids can be a fun activity and good way to bond for families. (Mommyish)
- To Foster Children :: I will never forget that first look. She was so little, and so precious. (Coffee + Crumbs)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Best Toddler Games :: If you’re a fan of family game night, you’ve probably been itching to get your toddler into the mix. (Fatherly)
- Coin Sorting Preschool Math Activity:: Get the change jar out – it’s time for some coin sorting! (Baby Toddler)
- Vibrant Clay Dough Butterfly Ornaments:: Easy 3-ingredient clay dough recipe to make vibrant butterfly ornaments for spring. (Happy Hooligans)