This week on the playground, the internet goes wild for a mom who kept her cool after finding her kids had shaved their own heads, while Lebron James' Akron school for underperforming kids shows amazing results in its first year. Meanwhile, discussions flare over whether there's science to show that first-born children are smarter than their siblings.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- “We’ll Make It Work” :: Says supermom to three-year-old daughter after she and her brothers shaved their own heads. (Fatherly)
- Is Your First-Born Smarter? :: The internet has seized on a 2016 study from The Journal of Human Resources that says … maybe. (Motherly)
- Lebron’s Whole-Family Approach to Education Gets Results :: The new Akron, Ohio school has shown dramatic results in its first year. (Scary Mommy)
- Do Parents Have Rights to Kids’ School Info? :: Florida bill would give parents unfettered access to their kids’ school info. (Fatherly)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- 3 Diaper Bags Parents Need to Know About :: The best are comfortable, able to fit all the on-the-go baby gear essentials, and keep everything well-organized and easy to access. (Fatherly)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Make Your Own Crayons! :: These new "crayons" are easier for little hands to hold. (Kids Activities Blog)
- 95 Best Knock Knock Jokes :: Punny, silly, play-on-words... the more ridiculous the punchline is, the better! (Mommyish)
- Plogging: A Fun Earth Day Activity :: Looking for a fun Earth Day activity? You may want to try plogging, or picking up litter while jogging. (DOGO)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Supporting Your Child's Teacher :: Learn some tips on how to support your child’s classroom teacher without being a “helicopter parent.” (Scary Mommy)
- Free Childcare for Community College Students :: New York's Governor Andrew Cuomo is on a mission to level the playing field for young women and provide them with the tools for success. (Motherly)
- Changing Brain Chemistry :: Is less outdoor time for children having a big effect on brain chemistry? (Your Modern Family)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Passover Roundup :: Favorite Passover recipes, kid crafts, and even a printable Hamilton Haggadah. (Cool Mom)
- Simple DIY 3D Balloon Birthday Card :: A simple way to combine activity time and making your own homemade birthday card. (Hands On As We Grow)
- Handmade Worry Dolls :: Learn how to make Guatemalan Worry Dolls with twigs and embroidery floss! (Happy Hooligans)