Where we share new and noteworthy tidbits about kids, parenting, and everything else that makes our lives as parents so unique.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Dads are Happier Than Moms :: Says a new study by the University of California Riverside (Washington Post, HuffPo, Motherly)
- Troll Farts Glitter at Universal Studios :: And everyone is taking note. (Please don’t shoot the messenger…) (Fatherly, HuffPo, People)
- Girls Rule the Superbowl :: From Tom Brady’s adorable daughter to this 15-year-old running back. (Yahoo)
- Family Affairs Strike a Nerve :: Washington state rolls out a 16-week paid family leave program, and Trump gives a shout out to the idea of a federal family leave plan in the SOTU. Meanwhile, a new study shows that two thirds of mothers who filed breastfeeding discrimination suits in the last 10 years were fired. So there’s that.
- Girl Scout Cookie Season is Here :: This junior entrepreneur breaks it down for us. (Fatherly)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Amazon Alexa's New Skills for Parents :: Can't remember when your baby last napped? Ask Alexa. (Red Tricycle)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Valentine's Day Is Almost Upon Us! :: Valentine’s Day, the holiday of love and romance, is almost here. (DOGO)
- Duck Duck Poop - A Tale of Symbiosis :: It's time for the regional library Story Slam Potluck & Pajama Party. (Wow in the World)
- Odyssey of the Ear, an Animated Tale of Sound :: Follow a trio of musicians, sound waves on a journey into the cortex of the brain, in a telling of this 2015 tale. (The Kid Should See This)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Pixar Tackles Office Sexism :: The first animated short in its new program SparkShorts. (Fatherly)
- The Best High Chair For 2019 :: Everybody deserves a spot at the table…even baby. (Rookie Moms)
- 30 Life Skills Kids Build at Camp :: They will learn life skills and independence and return home transformed by the experience. (Atlanta Parent Magazine)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Easy Fold Paper Heart Craft :: The cutest (and easiest) little Valentine's craft to share with you today. (Happy Hooligans)
- How to Weave a Rug :: Using only t-shirts and a hula hoop! (Momtastic)
- 20+ Dr. Seuss Crafts and Art Projects :: Kids love them because of the bit of whimsy and fantasy. (Fantastic Fun & Learning)