Where we share new and noteworthy tidbits about kids, parenting, and everything else that makes our lives as parents so unique.
What everyone on the (virtual) playground is talking about this week.
- Warren Unveils New Universal Child Care Plan :: Pointing to the dramatic impact of child care challenges on working parents. (CNN)
- Jason Momoa Sells Girl Scout Cookies :: As demonstrated by a Colorado 5th grader. (Fatherly, Buzzfeed)
- Measles Outbreaks May Prompt Federal Vaccination Requirements :: As U.S. is on track for 1,100 measles cases this year. (Scary Mommy)
Cool new tech to make life easier for parents and families.
- Nanit Plus Baby Monitor :: The AI night nurse you never knew you needed. (Fatherly)
Interesting stuff you can share with your kids -- or, if they're old enough, even have them read themselves.
- Matilda the Echidna's Allergy to Ants :: These spiny anteaters eat a lot of ants… except for Matilda, the first-known Echidna found to be allergic to ants. (The Kid Should See This)
- Soil 101 :: What is soil made of? Why is it important? And how can we nurture soil for the benefit of humans and our ecosystems? (The Kid Should See This)
- Why is Water One of the Weirdest Things in the Universe? :: Every molecule of water on the Earth and inside you or any other living thing has existed for billions of years. (The Kid Should See This)
Useful info and insights for life as a 'rent.
- Books and Movies for Black History Month :: Check out these books and movies to help us teach our kids about black history in America. (Offspring, RedTricycle)
- Talking with Kids About Tough Topics :: The world is filled with bad news lately, and as much as I’d love to be able to protect my kids from seeing any of it, the truth is that it’s all around them. (Kids Activities)
- We've Gotta Leave the Guilt Behind :: The “mommy guilt” epidemic? It’s a real thing! (Red Tricycle)
Fun and -- shh, don't tell! -- educational things to do with kids)
- Growing 500 Edible Plants in a Forest :: Could this natural approach to food production be a more sustainable and resilient way to live off the land? (The Kid Should See This)
- 8 St. Patrick's Day Science Experiments :: From rainbows to shamrocks, there is so much to learn from the icons surrounding St. Patty’s. (Red Tricycle)
- Turn Sludge into Clean Drinking Water :: Purifies 10 liters of dirty, potentially deadly, water into clean drinkable water in only 30 minutes. (The Kid Should See This)